Quick Green Veggie Soup with Couscous or Quinoa
For this bountiful vegetable soup, the less cooking time, the better. Featuring an of green veggies, including broccoli, zucchini, peas, and spinach — plus fresh herbs — everything should remain bright green and just done. The addition of a small amount of couscous or quinoa make this soup more substantial without adding cooking time.
- 1/2 cup couscous, preferably whole grain,
or 1/2 cup tan or red quinoa
- One 32-ounce container vegetable broth, preferably low-sodium
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and diced,
or 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 broccoli crown, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger, to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3 ounces fresh baby spinach or watercress leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
If using couscous, combine it in a small heatproof container, with 1 cup boiling water. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
If using quinoa, combine with 1cup water in a small saucepan; bring to a rapid simmer, then turn down the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. If the grain isn’t completely tender, stir in an additional 1/2 cup water and simmer until absorbed.
Meanwhile, combine the vegetable broth with 2 cups water in a small soup pot and bring to a simmer.
Add the zucchini or celery (peel the celery stalks to remove strings if you’d like), peas, broccoli, scallions, and ginger. Return to a rapid simmer, then cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are just done.
Stir in the soy sauce, oil, spinach, parsley, and dill. Cook for another minute or two, just until the spinach has wilted.
Stir in the couscous or quinoa. Season with pepper, and if desired, additional soy sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 112 calories; 2.5g fat; 450mg sodium; 18g carbs; 3g fiber; 4g protein
- Try some of VegKitchen’s other Soulful Soups.