Quick Three-Grain Brown Bread
Pop this easy egg- and dairy-free wheat, cornmeal, and rye quick bread into the oven while your favorite soup is simmering on the stove. You’ll love this moist loaf! Photo courtesy of Bookworm Bethie.
Makes 1 loaf, about 10 slices
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain soy or coconut yogurt
- 2/3 cup rice milk or soymilk, or as needed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, molasses or barley malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
Combine the remaining ingredients in another mixing bowl and whisk together until smoothly blended. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture, using enough milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir together until completely combined.
Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9- by- 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the bread from the pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool until just warm before slicing.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.