Quick Three-Grain Brown Bread
Pop this easy vegan quick bread into the oven while your favorite soup is simmering on the stove. It’s made with wheat and rye flours, plus cornmeal. Or, serve it with jam to accompany your favorite warm beverage — coffee, tea, or cocoa. You’ll love this moist loaf! This makes one loaf, about 10 to 12 slices. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup rye flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain nondairy yogurt, preferably coconut
- ⅔ cup unsweetened nondairy milk, or as needed
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, molasses, or barley malt syrup
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in another mixing bowl and whisk together until smoothly blended.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture, using enough milk to make a smooth, stiff batter. Stir together until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9- by- 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- When cool enough to handle, carefully remove the bread from the pan, place it on a rack or platter, and allow it to cool until just warm before slicing.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.