Quinoa and Red Bean Salad with Crisp Vegetables
The combination of grains and beans in this salad makes it an ideal centerpiece for a meal.
- 3/4 cup quinoa, any color, or a combination, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 cup halved yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup peeled, diced turnip or daikon radish
- 1/2 medium orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 8 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- One 15- to 16- ounce can small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup Salsa and Olive Oil Salad Dressing, or as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the quinoa with 1 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Transfer the quinoa to a wide bowl or casserole dish so that it can cool quickly.
Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, turnip, pepper, carrots, and olives in a serving bowl.
When the quinoa is just warm, add it to the vegetables along with the beans, dill to taste, and dressing; toss together. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
- Here are more quinoa recipes.