Raw Sweet Potato and Kale Salad with Coconut-Lime Dressing
This variation of Raw Sweet Potato and Cabbage Salad with Coconut-Lime Dressing was inspired by Ricki Heller of Diet, Dessert, and Dogs. She took my aforementioned recipe and varied it by using raw kale. The combination of raw sweet potato and raw kale (two veggies more commonly eaten cooked) is amazing. A small amount of red cabbage is added for color and crunch.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 medium or large sweet potato,
peeled and cut into chunks (or use an average-size
garnet yam, which are small and sweet)
- 2 packed cups stemmed and very thinly sliced kale, any variety
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw or toasted cashews, crushed
- 2 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- Juice of 1 lime, or more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- Salt to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste, optional
Put the sweet potato chunks through the grating blade of a food processor.
Put the sliced kale in a serving bowl. With hands lightly coated with olive oil (or, in keeping with the salad’s theme, coconut oil), massage the kale for 30 to 45 seconds, or until it turns bright green and softens a bit.
Combine the sweet potato and cabbage in a serving bowl with the remaining ingredientsStir together.
Let the salad stand for a bit to allow the flavors to marry—about 30 minutes should do. Stir once or twice during that time. Serve the salad over a bed of greens if desired.
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.
- Here are more raw kale salads.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.