Luscious Potato and Leek Salad
Here’s a dressed-up potato salad that’s still simple to make. It’s great with grilled dishes, and is a nice potluck or company dish for spring and summer.
- 6 medium-large red-skinned
or Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 slender leeks or 3 large leeks,
white and palest green parts only
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts,
with liquid, halved or quartered
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into narrow, 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) green peas, steamed
- Vinaigrette dressing, store-bought or homemade, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Snipped fresh chives
- Minced fresh parsley
Cook or microwave the potatoes in their skins until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut in half lengthwise and slice 1/2 inch thick. Place in a mixing bowl.
Trim the leeks and cut in half lengthwise. Cut 1/4-inch thick crosswise, then rinse well to rid them of grit. Heat the olive oil in a skillet along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the leeks, artichoke hearts, bell pepper and peas, to the bowl. Add enough vinaigrette to moisten the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
To serve, line a large platter with lettuce leaves. Top with the potato salad. Surround with cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with the minced herbs. Serve at once.