Broccoli and Red Cabbage Salad
You can dress this simple and pretty salad with a splash of olive oil and red-wine vinegar as suggested in the recipe, or use a prepared salad dressing of your choice.
- 3 cups bite-size broccoli florets (see Note)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage, or more, if desired
- 1/2 pint (about 1 cup) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cured black olives, such as kalamata, halved if desired
- Olive oil as desired
- Red wine vinegar to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dry-roasted sunflower seeds
Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss. Dress as desired with oil and vinegar and toss again. Top each serving with a scattering of sunflower seeds.
Note: If you prefer your broccoli lightly steamed rather than raw, by all means do so. Steam the broccoli briefly in a small amount of water just until bright green, then drain and rinse until cool before proceeding with the salad.