Carrot and Broccoli Salad with Green Olives
Green olives, fresh herbs, and crunchy seeds embellish the pairing of baby carrots and broccoli for a simple, savory salad.This is the kind of salad that has good staying power, as long as you take care to cook the broccoli just until it’s barely tender-crisp and still bright green. It’s even better the next day, and is a nice little side to include in your lunch. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky of Bittersweet.
- 1 medium broccoli crown, cut into
bite-sized florets (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise if thin,
quartered lengthwise if thick
- 1/2 cup small green pimiento olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vinaigrette, homemade or store-bought,
or as needed to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
Combine the broccoli florets in a skillet with a small amount of water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or so, just until tender-crisp.
Transfer the broccoli to a colander and refresh under cool water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
In a serving container, combine the broccoli with carrots and all the remaining ingredients. Toss well. Serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.