Cauliflower, Carrot, and Olive Salad
Here’s an easy salad of lightly cooked cauliflower and raw carrots, with lots of extra flavor from parsley, olives, and sunflower seeds. I like to make this as part of a meal of cool dishes in the summer, either with a cold soup, or with two additional interesting salads. Adapted from Vegan Express by Nava Atlas.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved lengthwise if thin, quartered lengthwise if thick
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, preferably oil-cured
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or more, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vinaigrette, homemade or store-bought, or as needed to moisten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
Place the cauliflower in a skillet with a small amount of water. Cover and steam for 3 to 4 minutes, just until tender-crisp.
Transfer the cauliflower to a colander and refresh under cool water. Drain well. Combine the cauliflower with the remaining ingredients. Toss well. Serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until needed.