Marinated Broccoli and Cauliflower
Two powerhouse veggies, broccoli and cauliflower, lightly cooked and subtly dressed, pair up to make a hearty salad. This makes a moderate amount, good for everyday meals, but it’s a great salad to make for company or potlucks, too. If that’s the case, the recipe doubles very easily.
Serves: 3 to 4
- 2 heaping cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 heaping cups cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced cured black olives (such as Kalamata)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or as desired
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed or bottled lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled and finely diced
Steam the broccoli and cauliflower until just barely tender-crisp. Take care not to overcook, so that the broccoli retains its bright green color. Rinse until cool, then drain thoroughly.
Combine the broccoli and cauliflower in a serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients except the avocado and stir together. If time allows, cover and refrigerate for an hour or two, stirring occasionally. Otherwise, serve at once. Either way, just before serving, stir in the diced avocado.