Kale and Cabbage Slaw
I find this simple raw kale and cabbage salad to be positively addictive. It goes with just about any kind of meal and is good year around.
- 6 or so large leaves curly green or lacinato kale
- 3 cups thinly shredded green or napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, or as desired
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons), or to taste
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper,
cut into narrow short strips
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herb of your choice (parsley, dill, or cilantro)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Strip the kale leaves off the stems. If you like using the stems, slice them very thin, or discard if you prefer.
Slice the kale into narrow ribbons and place in a serving container. Coat your palms lightly with olive oil and massage the kale until it softens and becomes bright green, about 45 seconds.
Add the sliced stems to the container along with the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve at once.
Substitute baby carrots, quartered lengthwise (about a dozen) for the bell pepper
If you’re feeling lazy, substitute pre-cut coleslaw cabbage for the green or napa cabbage
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.