Summer Squash, Green Bean, and Chickpea Salad
This appealing mix of steamed vegetables and chickpeas is especially welcome when slender fresh green beans are abundant.
- 2 small yellow summer squashes
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into l-inch pieces
- 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro,
or more, to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- l/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Mixed baby greens
Scrub the squashes, cut them in half lengthwise, and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Steam them until they just tender-crisp. At the same time, steam the green beans separately until just tender-crisp. Once done, rinse the vegetables immediately under cold water and allow to drain for a few minutes in a colander.
Combine the squash and green beans in a large serving bowl along with all the remaining ingredients except the greens. Toss well, and if time allows, cover and refrigerate for several hours. Stir occasionally to distribute the dressing.
Just before serving, line a platter with greens and mound the salad over them.
- Here are more recipes for bean salads.