Sautéed Red Cabbage
This wine-scented dish of red cabbage and onion cheering is a winter recipe, and a simple side dish for everyday and holiday meals.
Serves: 6 to 8 to
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
- 6 cups thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 to 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet or 3-quart saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the cabbage, wine, and vinegar. Cover and sauté until tender-crisp, about 12 minutes, lifting the lid to stir occasionally.
Stir in the maple syrup and sauté over very low heat, stirring occasionally, another 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a serving container. Cover and keep warm until serving.
- Find more recipes for Cabbages and Lettuces — Beyond Salad.