Red Onion Relish
This flavorful relish is a great companion to grilled vegetables, any sort vegan protein foods, or served as a topping or companion to grains or bean dishes.
Makes: about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 4 cups chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, optional
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the wine and onions and sauté, covered, over low heat, for 30 minutes, stirring occasion ally. If the mixture gets dry, moisten with small amounts of water.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, over low heat, for another 15 minutes or until the onions are very tender. Let cool. Store until needed in a covered container. Serve at room temperature.
- Here are lots more recipes for salsas, chutneys, and relishes.
- Here are more recipes for onions, garlic, and leeks.