Onion and Garlic Sauce
When winter rolls around, it’s good to consume as much onion and garlic as possible. This delicious sauce makes it easy to do so. Serve this over grains, pasta, or baked potatoes.
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions (regular or red, or one of each), chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions. Sauté over medium-low heat until golden. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until the onion is lightly browned, stirring frequently.
Sprinkle in the flour slowly and stir in. Slowly add 1 1/4 cups of water, raise the heat, and bring to a rapid simmer.
Add the soy sauce, optional wine, and pepper. Lower the heat and simmer very gently for 10 minutes longer, then serve.