White Bean Dip
This quick, versatile mixture is marvelous as a dip with assorted vegetables. Serve with red, green, and yellow pepper strips, sliced cucumbers, baby carrots, and celery sticks. It also makes a super spread on toasted wholegrain or pumpernickel bread.
Yield: About 1 1/2 cups. Keeps about 1 week in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container. Don’t freeze.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15- or 19-ounce can (425 to 540 mL) white kidney beans (cannellini beans),
drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce or 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Chopped fresh parsley, black olives, and paprika, for garnish
Drop the garlic through the feed tube of a food processor fitted with the steel blade while the motor is running. Process until minced, about 10 seconds.
Add beans, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Process until smooth and creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. If the mixture is too thick, thin with 2 tablespoons water.
Transfer the white bean dip to a serving bowl. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Garnish with parsley, olives, and paprika.
• Prepare as directed, adding 1/2 cup well drained roasted red peppers.
• Omit the hot pepper sauce; add 1 tablespoon minced fresh dillweed.
• Beans are a rich source of dietary fiber and they have a low glycemic index. Lemon juice slows digestion, lowering the GI of foods.
Reprinted by permission by Whitecap Publishers from Norene’s Healthy Kitchen.* Norene Gilletz is a Canadian food writer and is the leading author of kosher cookbooks in Canada. Visit her extensive food site, Gourmania.
- Explore VegKitchen’s selection of flavorful snacks and dips.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!