Vegan Caramel Sauce
This sweet caramel sauce makes a great addition to pies and ice creams, but you should try it along with the Pumpkin Bread Pudding! Contributed by Beverly Lynn Bennett (reprinted by permission of the author), author of Vegan Bites and other titles.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup soy milk, rice milk,
or other nondairy milk of choice
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small saucepan, place the soy milk, Sucanat, and maple syrup, and whisk well to combine. Cook over medium heat, while whisking occasionally, for 3 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the water and arrowroot, and then whisk the mixture into the saucepan. Cook the mixture, while whisking constantly, an additional 2-3 minutes or until it thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients.
Serve warm as a topping for cakes, desserts, nondairy ice cream or sorbet, or as a dipping sauce for fruit. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, and reheat as needed.
Visit Beverly at The Vegan Chef.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Here are lots more recipes for simple sauces and such.