Vegan Gooda Cheez
This impressive, dome-shaped cheez has a creamy texture and lovely golden color. Slice it into wedges for a delectable snack or appetizer. Recipe contributed by Jo Stepaniak, reprinted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.
Makes 1 (3-cup) dome
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 5 tablespoons agar flakes, or 1 1/2 tablespoons agar powder
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Lightly oil a 3-cup bowl or mold with a rounded bottom and set aside. Combine the water and carrots in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the agar flakes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until the agar is dissolved, 8 to 12 minutes longer.
Transfer to a blender and add the remaining ingredients. Process several minutes until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender jar as necessary.
Pour into the prepared container and smooth the top. Cool uncovered in the refrigerator. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. To serve, turn out of the mold and slice into wedges. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator. Will keep for 5 to 7 days.
- For more vegan cheese-like recipes, go to Vegan Cheese-y Delights.