Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Bahn Mi
This hearty bahn mi filling of golden scrambled tofu packed in a toasted baguette is too good to eat only for breakfast—it also makes a casual but incredible weeknight meal. Recipe from Vegan Eats World* by Terry Hope Romero. Reprinted courtesy of Da Capo Lifelong Books. Photos by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
Makes four 8-inch, overstuffed sandwiches
- 1/2 pound white or brown mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 scallions, white and green parts divided and very thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably Thai thin soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder or East Indian-style Curry Powder
- Four 6- to 8-inch crusty sandwich rolls or sliced from 2 baguettes
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Cilantro sprigs
- Thin slices of ripe tomato
- Paper-thin slices of red radish or matchsticks of daikon or jicama
- Asian garlic chili sauce (such as Sriracha or sambal oelek)
Heat a wok or cast-iron skillet until nearly smoking, then sauté mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of the oil until tender and browned, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from wok.
Wipe down the surface, and add remaining oil. Add the shallots and stir-fry until golden, about 4 minutes, then add the white parts of the scallion and the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Crumble in the tofu, add the mushrooms, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Whisk together vegetable broth, soy sauce, lime juice, coriander, white pepper, and curry powder and pour over tofu. Use a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula to stir-fry tofu until all of the liquid has been absorbed and tofu is golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Tofu should be moist, but not wet.
Add the green tops of the scallions, fry for another minute, and remove from the heat.
Slice the rolls in half and toast if desired. Spread insides with mayo and distribute the tofu mixture evenly on the sandwiches. Top each sandwich with cilantro, tomato, radish, and chili sauce. Eat immediately, and over a plate … these bahn mi are messy goodness.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan sandwiches and wraps
and Vegan Breakfast Recipes.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!