Seitan, Mushroom, and Onion Stir-Fry
This simple seitan stir-fry is great choice for hearty appetites, and a warming dish for nippy evenings. Lots of red onion adds great flavor, and the mushrooms bolster the “meaty” quality of the seitan. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 to 10 ounces baby bella (cremini), or portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 to 1½ pounds seitan, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons natural low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 to 1½ cups frozen green peas, thawed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the mushrooms, then cover and cook until they are done to your liking, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the seitan and soy sauce Turn the heat up to medium-high and stir-fry until the seitan chunks are touched by golden-brown spots.
- Stir in the peas and stir fry for a minute or so longer. Season with pepper and serve.
- Mushroom lovers, rejoice! Here are more mushroom recipes for you.
- Here are more recipes for onions, garlic, and leeks.
- Here are more easy seitan recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Seitan Main Dishes.