Simple Garlic-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
In this simple preparation, oven-roasting naturally delicious sweet potatoes enhances them all the more. Embellished with a little onion, garlic, and fresh thyme, it’s really all you need to create fantastic side dish.
Serves: 6 or more
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled or scrubbed, and cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, quartered and sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Leaves from several fresh thyme sprigs, plus a few sprigs for garnish (see Note)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Arrange the sweet potatoes and onion in a parchment-lined roasting pan.
Drizzle with with the olive oil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, or until just tender with a bit of firmness. This will depend on the size of the chunks.
Add the garlic to the sweet potato mixture and stir in. Continue to roast for 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until golden-brown spots touch the sweet potatoes’ surfaces and are tender on the inside.
Transfer to a serving container. Season gently with salt and pepper and stir in fresh thyme leaves to taste. Garnish with a few sprigs of thyme and serve at once.
Note: Fresh thyme is generally available year-round in the produce section of well-stocked supermarkets, but if you can’t find it, use a sprinkling of dried thyme or substitute fresh or dried rosemary.