Cold Beet Borscht
This refreshing cold soup of Russian origin is filled with produce that has a subtle sweetness, and is always pleasing to the eye as well. Grating all the vegetables will be a chore unless you use a food processor.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 6 medium beets, peeled and grated
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 large sweet apple, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, grated
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegan sour cream (homemade or store-bought) or Cashew Cream
Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large soup pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Stir in the dill and adjust the consistency with more water if the vegetables are too densely packed. Taste and add more lemon and/or sugar to bring the sweet and tangy flavor to your liking. Allow to cool, then refrigerate, covered, until thoroughly chilled.
Top each serving with vegan sour cream or cashew cream if desired.
- Here are more recipes for cold summer soups.
Print This Post