Creamy Chilled Avocado Soup
A quick and easy no-cook soup, this is remarkably refreshing on a hot summer day. It’s best eaten on the same day as it is made, since avocado discolors and does not keep well under refrigeration once peeled. This raw soup makes a great opener for a Southwestern-style meal of burritos, enchiladas, or the like. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 large ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- One recipe Vegan Sour Creamor Cashew Cream
- 2 cups rice milk, more or less as needed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon good-quality curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Finely dice enough avocado to make 1 cup, then mash the remainder well. Combine the diced and mashed avocados in a serving container and mix immediately with the lemon juice.
Stir in the sour cream or cashew cream, then enough rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency. Stir in the remaining ingredients and refrigerate, covered, until thoroughly chilled.
- Here are more recipes for cold summer soups.