Southwestern Salad in its own Tortilla Bowl
Making an edible salad bowl from a wheat tortilla is easy to do and adds a great deal of fun to this salad! Double the quantities given here as needed to serve 2. Recipe and photo contributed by Vasanthi Raghavan, from Mixed and Tossed.
- 1 flour wrap, burrito size
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup red leaf lettuce (for color)
- 1 firm tomato, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- 1/2 cup cooked or raw fresh corn kernels, or thawed frozen kernels
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned (drained and rinsed) black beans
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 5 thinly sliced rings of white onion
- 2 tablespoon either whole or sliced pitted black olives or sliced
- 2 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes (if oil-packed, strain the oil)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tiny clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated vegan cheese, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons salsa for topping, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In the meantime, get all the salad ingredients ready, as directed.
Place the tortilla in an ovenproof deep dish with at least 4″ sides. Press the wrap to the bottom and sides. Pour 1/2 cup of any large dry beans on the bottom, to help the wrap keep its shape. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the tortilla is crisp, without starting to brown or burn.
In the meantime, mix and toss all the other ingredients, except the cheese and cilantro, in a mixing bowl.
When the tortilla is done, remove from the oven taking care not to tear the bottom. You can serve the salad ingredients in it right away, topping with cilantro and cheese.
Vasanthi Raghavan has been documenting healthy and delicious salads and soups that she makes for her family and friends at Mixed and Tossed. Most of her dressings are oil free!
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Main-Dish Salads.