Chickpea Sandwich Spread
This easy preparation is especially tasty when spread on hearty whole-grain rye bread, but it’s great spread on wedges of fresh pita bread, too. This has long been one of my favorite sandwich spreads to take on picnics. Or ditch the bread and just serve a scoop on a nice green salad (this goes especially well with arugula or massaged kale).
Makes: About 2 cups
- 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- A few sprigs fresh parsley, minced
- 1 scallion, green parts only, choped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sesame paste (tahini)
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried dill and ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Mash the chickpeas well and combine with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly and pat into a serving container. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Pack into a tightly lidded plastic container to transport.