Orange-Cranberry Muffins or Mini-Loaves
The pairing of orange and cranberry makes for a lively flavor combination in baked goods. If I’m in the mood to make muffins for a weekend brunch, this is one of my top choices! And for holiday baking or giving, this batter is nice made into mini-loaves. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Makes: 1 dozen muffins or 3 to 4 mini-loaves
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (6 ounces) lemon or vanilla nondairy yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, or as needed
- 2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 8 ounces fresh cranberries (see note)
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together. Make a well in the center and pour in the yogurt, enough orange juice to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter, and the oil. Stir until well combined.
Place the cranberries in a food processor and pulse on and off until coarsely chopped. Stir in the sugar and let the mixture stand for a couple of minutes.
Stir the cranberries and optional walnuts into the batter.
Divide the batter evenly among 12 foil paper-lined muffin tins or 3 to 4 mini loaf pans (depending on their size) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, transfer them to a plate or rack to cool.
Note: When fresh cranberries are out of season, use about 1 cup dried cranberries and eliminate the extra sugar.
- Find lots more muffin recipes in Muffin Mania.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s easy, festive vegan brunch recipes and menus.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Here are more Fruity Baked Goods.