Orange-Cranberry Muffins or Mini-Loaves
The pairing of orange and cranberry makes for a lively flavor combination in baked goods. If I’m in the mood to make muffins for a weekend brunch, this is one of my
top choices! And for holiday baking or giving, this batter is nice made into mini-loaves. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Makes: 1 dozen muffins or 3 to 4 mini-loaves
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon or vanilla nondairy yogurt, or applesauce
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons grated zest (orange peel — if orange is organic; see note)
- 2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 8 ounces fresh cranberries (see note)
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or sliced almonds, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together. Make a well in the center and pour in the yogurt or applesauce, orange juice, optional zest, and oil. Add a small amount of orange juice if need be to loosen the batter a bit, but let it remain stiff. Stir just until well combined.
Place the cranberries in a food processor and pulse on and off until coarsely chopped. Stir in the sugar and let the mixture stand for a couple of minutes.
Stir the cranberries into the batter.
Divide the batter evenly among 12 foil paper-lined muffin tins or 3 to 4 mini loaf pans (depending on their size). If using nuts, scatter over the tops of the muffins evenly.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a knife inserted into the center of one tests clean. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, transfer them to a plate or rack to cool.
When fresh cranberries are out of season, use about 1 cup dried cranberries and eliminate the extra sugar.
Finely grated orange peel (zest) really heightens the orange flavor of these muffins.
- Find lots more muffin recipes in Muffin Mania.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s easy, festive vegan brunch recipes and menus.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Here are more Fruity Baked Goods.