Apple and Pear Fruit Compote
A compote of cooked apples and pears is a nice light way to end a late fall through early spring meal. It’s a perfect dessert for Passover, served with chocolate-covered matzo or matzo brittle. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 3 medium firm pears, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup dry white or red wine
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all but the last two ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over moderate heat until the fruit is soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins and lemon juice and let cool, then chill, covered, until needed.
- Serve in individual dessert bowls or parfait glasses.
Per serving: Calories: 130; Total fat: 0g; Protein: 1g; Carbs: 29g; Sodium: 5 mg