A compote of cooked fruit is a nice light way to end a festive Jewish holiday meal. This is excellent served in tandem with Chocolate Matzo Brittle.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3 medium firm pears, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, quartered, and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup dry white or red kosher wine
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Combine all but the last two ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over moderate heat until the fruit is soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the raisins and lemon juice and let cool, then chill, covered, until needed. Serve in individual dessert bowls or parfait glasses.
- Find more at VegKitchen’s Passover: Ashkenazic-Style Seder page.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.