Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Simple as all get-go, I might argue that it’s even better than that ubiquitous pumpkin bread that everyone and their best friend feels the urge to make around this time of year. Warm, creamy, and comforting, it’s the perfect dessert to ward off those autumn chills while celebrating the season’s bounty. It’s a snap to customize depending on your preference; consider the spices as a mere suggestion, and a handful or two of nuts, chocolate, or dried fruit never hurt anything. Recipe and photo contributed by Hannah Kaminsky, from My Sweet Vegan* (reprinted by permission of the author).
- ½ pound crusty bread
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup plain nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, optional
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Nondairy ice cream and/or Caramel Sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. and lightly grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Whisk together the pumpkin puree, cornstarch, sugar, spices, and salt in a large bowl.
- Once smooth and thoroughly combined, add in the nondairy milk and optional rum, and stir until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Toss in the bread cubes and crystallized ginger, and use a wide spatula to gently stir everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth it evenly across the bottom. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The edges should appear set, but the interior will remain quite soft and moist. Good bread pudding should be very moist, so be careful not to over bake it!
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving. You can either take the time to make nice, neat slices like, or just grab a large spoon and scoop it out onto plates. Serve warm with ice cream, Caramel Sauce, or both.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!