Chocolate Chip Pear Blondies
Rich with chocolate chips and pears, these melt-in-your-mouth blondies are delicious as a dessert or tea bread. They’re especially good with almond tea.
Makes: 9 to 12 squares
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/4 cup rice milk, more or less as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe pear, any variety, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the applesauce and oil. Stir together, then add enough rice milk to form a smooth and slightly stiff batter.
Stir in the diced pear and chocolate chips, then pour the batter into an oiled 9- inch square or round pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the center tests clean.
Allow to cool to room temperature before cutting into squares to serve.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
- Here are more Fruity Baked Goods.