Roasted Root Vegetable Medley
Oven-roasting brings out the natural sweetness of many vegetables, and this is particularly true in the case of root vegetables. You can vary the vegetables suggested here; for example, if you prefer not to use beets, you can substitute parsnips; and if you don’t care to wrangle with rutabagas, try golden potatoes.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced
- 2 medium beets, peeled and sliced (use red or golden beets)
- 1 large turnip, peeled, cut in half, and sliced
- 3 to 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thick slices on the diagonal
- 1/2 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into bite-sized slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch each: Cinnamon, nutmeg
- Fresh rosemary leaves to taste, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Prepare all the vegetables as directed, making sure to slice everything fairly evenly, about 1/4-inch thick. Place in a large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, and seasonings. Stir together, pour over the vegetables, and toss together.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly oiled large roasting pan (line it with foil first if you’d like). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Toward the end, sprinkle on some fresh rosemary leaves if desired. The vegetables should be tender on the inside and touched with golden brown on the outside.
Transfer to a covered serving container and keep warm until serving.
- Here are more recipes featuring roasted vegetables.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!) for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.