Grilled Eggplant Teriyaki
Eggplant was just made to be grilled, and grilling it with an Asian-flavored marinade brings out the best of its subtle flavor.
- 2 medium-large eggplants, about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds total
- Teriyaki Marinade, as needed
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Slice the eggplants 1/2-inch thick and peel. Salt them and let stand in a colander for 30 minutes, then rinse well.
Prepare grill. Brush the eggplant slices generously on both sides with Teriyaki Marinade. Grill on each side until nicely browned and tender (5 to 10 minutes on each side, depending on the heat of the coals).
Remove and let cool slightly on a cutting surface. Cut into strips and place in a serving container. Stir in the scallions. Add enough additional Teriyaki Sauce to moisten and flavor the eggplant to taste. Sprinkle the top with the red pepper dice and sesame seeds.
- Find more recipes for grilling in VegKitchen’s The Vegan Barbecue.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.