Grilled Pepperonata with Vegan Sausage
Depending on what kind of grill you’re using, you may want to use a grill basket, as the chunks of sausage are relatively small. This vegan rendition of an Italian classic (sausage and peppers) is absolutely wonderful made on the barbecue. Adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen.
Serves: 6 or more
- Olive Oil-Lemon Marinade
- 4 bell peppers, various colors, cut into large bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch think slices, rings separated
- One 14-ounce package Tofurky or Field Roast Sausage,
- cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted black brine-cured olives (such as kalamata)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced basil leaves, to taste
Prepare grill. Combine the marinade in a large mixing bowl with the peppers, onion, and sausage. Stir together.
When ready to grill, lift the sausage and peppers mixture from the bowl with a large slotted spoon and arrange in a more or less single layer on the grill. If using other than an electric grill, you may want to use a grill basket.
Cook for 5 minutes, then flip to expose other sides and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until the vegetables and sausage are lightly charred.
Transfer the peppers and sausages to a large serving container or roomy platter. Add the tomatoes, olives, and basil, and toss lightly. Drizzle with just enough extra marinade to moisten. Serve at once.
- Find more recipes for grilling in VegKitchen’s The Vegan Barbecue.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.