A grilled version of the classic French stew called ratatouille, this glistening warm salad is a welcome offering at a vegetarain/vegan barbecue. It features the characteristic ingredients of this dish, including eggplant, onions, zucchini, and bell pepper.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 pound, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large white or red onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- Olive Oil-Lemon Marinade, as needed
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs of your choice, as desired
(parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, etc.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped black olives, optional
Prepare your grill.
Brush the vegetables lightly with the Olive Oil-Lemon Marinade. Grill the eggplant on both sides until nicely browned and quite tender, about 15 minutes total.
Grill the onions and zucchini separately in a grill basket, stirring occasionally until lightly browned and tender, about 10 to 15 minutes each.
Place the bell pepper directly on the grill and turn frequently, allowing all sides to get charred. Remove and place in a paper bag to steam.
When all the vegetables are cool enough to handle, chop into fairly large chunks and combine in a serving bowl. Slip the skin off the pepper, then remove the core and seeds. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
Stir in the tomato, olive oil, and vinegar, and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Embellish with fresh herbs and the optional olives. Serve warm or at room temperature.