Wild Rice Salad with Corn and Black-Eyed Peas
An invigorating melange of flavors, textures and colors, this is an attractive dish to serve at room temperature, any time of year.
Serves: 8 or more
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 16-ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (scraped from 3 to 4 medium-large ears)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Toasted pumpkin seeds for topping, optional
Combine the wild rice in a saucepan with 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
Combine the cooked grain with the remaining ingredients in a serving container while still hot and stir together. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. If making ahead of time, cover and refrigerate, then bring to room temperature before serving. Top with a scattering of pumpkin seeds, if desired.
- Here are more Vegan Potluck Dishes.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.