Spring Barley or Farro Salad with Asparagus
This delectable grain salad is a great way to showcase asparagus in the spring, its true season. Peas or edamame and fresh dill add flavor and texture. This teams nicely with Crustless Tofu Quiche with Mushrooms and Herbs. Add a platter of cherry tomatoes and baby carrots for a nice meal.
- 1 cup pearl barley or faro
- 6 to 8 ounces slender asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas, 1 cup thawed frozen green peas, or edamame
(fresh green soybeans)
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced,
or a small bunch of chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or more, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sliced black olives, optional
- 1/2 cup natural, low-fat vinaigrette or Basic Vinaigrette
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine 3 cups water with the barley or farro in a deep saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Combine the grain with all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Toss together thoroughly. If time allows, let stand for an hour or so before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
- Explore more of our grain salads.