Stacked Squash and Bell Pepper Enchiladas
Here’s a vegetable-filled variation of the traditional stacked cheese enchilada. Using vegan cheese, summer squashes, and bell peppers, these are a snap to make. Serve with baked sweet potatoes and a big salad. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut to match summer squash
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut to match green pepper
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas
- Enchilada Sauce
- 1½ cups grated vegan cheese
- Heat the oil with 2 tablespoons water in a large skillet. Add the squashes and bell peppers and cook, covered, until just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Arrange 6 tortillas on it in and layer them as follows: A small amount of the sauce, a layer of the vegetables, a sprinkling of cheese, another tortilla, more sauce and another sprinkling of cheese.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are hot. Transfer the enchiladas to plates and serve at once.