Summer Einkorn Wheat Berry Salad
This recipe for using einkorn wheat berries in a salad is perfect for summer entertaining or everyday meals. Reminiscent of tabbouli as far as the flavor and ingredients, this salad offers a change of pace in terms of texture from the nutty, pleasantly chewy einkorn. Learn more about this high-protein ancient grain in our post, How to Cook and Use Einkorn Wheat. And make sure to see the variation below the recipe box for stuffing this tasty salad into ripe summer tomatoes. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 cup einkorn wheat berries
- 1 large or 2 medium firm ripe summer tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced cucumber
- ¼ cup minced fresh dill
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine 2 cups water with the einkorn berries in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the water has been absorbed, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked einkorn to a serving bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine thoroughly with the einkorn. Allow to stand for a few minutes so that the flavors can blend, then serve. Or, you can refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.
Stuffing this simple salad into ripe summer tomatoes is a fun way to serve it. Use as many tomatoes as you need. This salad will easily fill 4 or more large tomatoes.
Cut tomatoes in half, then cut around the edges, leaving a shell of about 1/4 inch. Carefully cut away the insides of the tomatoes. Dice and add what you’ve scooped out to the salad. You can discard parts that are too seedy, if you’d like. Then just fill the scooped-out tomato halves as much as you’d like.These can be eaten with knife or fork, or just picked up and eaten out of hand.
- Other variations
You can use quinoa, whole-grain couscous, or bulgur in place of the einkorn in the same amount specified above.
- Add or substitute other crisp vegetables, such as bell pepper, turnip, carrot,etc.