Summer Squash and Broccoli Relish Salad
This simply yet tasty salad of yellow summer squash and broccoli goes well with veggie burgers, pasta dishes, and spicy grain or bean dishes. And— dare I say it—this might be just the kind of salad to entice younger eaters, helped along with the hint of sweetness from pickle relish.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and diced
- 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets, lightly steamed if desired
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced, or fresh chives as desired
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup homemade Sesame-Ginger Salad Dressing, or store-bought, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sunflower seeds for topping, optional
Combine all the ingredients except the sunflower seeds in a serving bowl and stir well to mix. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
Scatter sunflower seeds over the top of the salad, or pass them around, then serve.