Sweet and Sour Artichoke Hearts
This simple side dish is traditional to the Sephardic Passover tables of several countries, including Turkey.
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts, or two 15-ounce cans artichoke hearts (not marinated), drained
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar or agave nectar, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or more, to taste
In a deep saucepan over medium heat, combine the artichoke hearts and apple juice; bring to a simmer. Stir in enough lemon juice and sweetener to achieve the desired sweet-sour taste. Add salt and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced slightly.
Transfer to serving platter; sprinkle with parsley, and serve, or cover and keep warm until needed.
- Get more on VegKitchen’s Passover: Sephardic-Style Seder page.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.