Sweet Potato-Spelt Biscuits
These vegan sweet potato biscuits are so moist and flaky, they practically melt in your mouth. Contributed by Cathe Olson, from The Vegetarian Mother’s Cookbook.*
Makes about 10
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (or whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons cold nonhydrogenated margarine or coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift flour, baking powder, and sea salt together. Cut in margarine or coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in sweet potato and milk until combined.
Scoop out 1/4-cup mounds of dough (an ice cream scoop works well) and flatten to biscuit shape on unoiled baking sheet. Bake 25 to 20 minutes, or until bottoms are golden.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads.
Cathe Olson is the author of Simply Natural Baby Food, The Vegetarian Mother’s Cookbook,* and Lick It! Creamy, Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.* For more information and sample recipes, visit Cathe at Simply Natural Books.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!