Here’s a great coleslaw, perfect for picnics, vegan barbecues, or to dress up everyday meals. It gets an extra kick from pickles and horseradish.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 cups firmly packed, shredded white cabbage,
or 2 cups each red and white cabbage
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced half sour pickle
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or dill, optional
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the salad ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Pout over the slaw and stir together thoroughly.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the flavors to blend. Taste to adjust any of the flavors, or add a bit more vegan mayo if you like a creamier slaw.
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.