A well-flavored marinade, this adds an Asian spin to grilled, stir-fried, or sautéd tofu, tempeh, and seitan. It also enhances vegetables, including eggplant, broccoli, green beans, scallions, carrots, and mushrooms. Use it to pan-sauté or grill vegetables and plant proteins. See our Teriyaki Eggplant recipe. Photo by Evan Atlas.
Makes: About 1 cup
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake or white wine
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or other mild vinegar
- 1 to 2 cloves crushed or minced garlic, optional
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a small container. If using sugar, let stand until it’s dissolved. Otherwise, whisk together and use as directed in recipes.
Transfer any unused portion to a small jar or container and refrigerate.