Barbecue-Flavored Tofu and Onion Skillet
I love what barbecue sauce does for tofu. This easy tofu recipe is excellent over brown rice or quinoa.
Serves: 3 to 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, quartered and thinly sliced (try red or Vidalia onions)
- One 16-ounce tub firm or extra-firm tofu, well drained and diced
- 1/2 cup natural barbecue sauce, or
Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce, or as needed
- Hot cooked brown rice or quinoa, optional
Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until golden. If you’re not in a hurry, cook them over very low heat to caramelize slowly.
Add the tofu and barbecue sauce and turn the heat up to medium-high. Use enough sauce to coat the tofu generously. Stir-fry for 6 to 8 minutes, and serve on its own or over rice.
- Explore other super-easy vegan main dish recipes.
- Here are more easy tofu recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.