Easy Curried Sweet Potato and Tofu Stew
Once you have your sweet potatoes ready, this delicious and unusual curried combo made with tofu and greens comes together quickly. Serve with cooked quinoa or couscous or a fresh flatbread, and a simple salad of tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers.
Serves: 4 or more
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 14- to 16 ounces extra-firm tofu, well drained, blotted and diced
- One 16-ounce can low-sodium stewed tomatoes, chopped, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder, or more, to taste
- 4 ounces arugula or baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sriracha sauce or dried hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley, optional
Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes in their skins until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel, and cut into large dice (do this ahead of time to ensure that you’re meal will be on the table in minutes!).
Combine the tofu, tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon of the curry powder in a stir-fry pan or wide skillet. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the diced sweet potato and continue to cook for 5 minutes longer.
Add the arugula or spinach, cover, and cook briefly, just until slightly wilted. Taste and season with more curry if desired. Season with salt and pepper, and add a little heat with sriracha or hot red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve straight from the pan.
- Here are lots more easy tofu recipes.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more
Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.