Pasta and Tofu Salad
This simple pasta salad is reminiscent of a retro favorite, tuna-noodle salad, with baked or firm herbed tofu standing in. It’s a pasta salad that’s welcome all year round, not just during summer months. In addition, once you have your noodles cooked, this takes hardly more time to make for lunch than a sandwich, and packs up really well as a portable lunch. Serve with cherry tomatoes and carrot sticks (or baby carrots) on the side. Photos by Rachael Braun.
- 8 ounces pasta, any small shape (twists or small shells work well;
of course, you can use your favorite gluten-free pasta,too)
- 8-ounce package baked tofu, 8 ounces extra-firm herb-flavored
tofu, or homemade Baked Tofu Teriyaki, finely diced
- 2 large celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or Cashew Cream
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Rinse under cold running water until the pasta cools. Drain and transfer to a serving container.
Combine the pasta with the remaining ingredients and toss well. Cover and refrigerate until needed or serve at once.