Pasta Creole with Vegan Sausage
Soy “sausage” lends a distinctive heartiness to many types of dishes. This composite inspiration is a case in point.
- 10 to 12 ounces pasta, any short shape
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 links vegan sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, diced
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon each: dried basil and thyme
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the sausage links over medium heat, turning gently to brown on most sides. Remove to a cutting board, and when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Heat the remaining oil in the same skillet. Add the onion and sauté until it is translucent. Add the celery and bell pepper and continue to sauté until the mixture is golden.
Add the tomatoes, basil, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked pasta, sausage, and skillet mixture. Add the parsley and toss well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again. Serve at once.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.
- Here are more vegan sausage recipes.