Here’s one of my favorite uses for a terrific product, Tofurky Sausage. The bold flavor is used to full advantage in this hearty Creole-flavored pasta dish. If you have more time, make a pan of vegan corn bread, it’s a wonderful addition to this meal.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 8 to 10 ounces pasta (such as penne, cavatappi, or gemelli,
whole wheat if desired)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- One 14-ounce package Tofurky Italian- or kielbasa-style sausage,
sliced 1/2 inch thick
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic, celery, bell pepper, and sausage; continue to sauté until all the vegetables are lightly browned.
Add the tomatoes, basil, paprika, thyme, and cayenne to taste. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Stir in the pasta and parsley. Season with salt, then to taste adjust the other seasonings to your liking. Serve at once.