Italian-Style “Sausage” and Peppers
This homestyle Italian classic, updated with vegan sausage, makes a warming one-dish winter meal. It’s especially good served over cooked polenta. Mild, pale-green Italian frying peppers are commonly available in supermarkets and produce markets.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One package Tofurky or Field Roast vegan sausage, any variety,
cut into 1/2-inch sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 large Italian frying peppers, seeded and cut into strips
(or substitute 3 large green and/or red bell peppers)
- One 28-ounce can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or fresh oregano to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or fresh basil to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Hot cooked pasta, rice, polenta, or other grains
Heat just enough of the oil to lightly coat the bottom of a large, reserving the rest. Add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until all sides are golden brown. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until it is translucent. Stir in the garlic, peppers and wine. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the pureed tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta in rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Cut the soy sausages into 3/4-inch-thick slices and stir them into the peppers mixture. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Serve at once, spooning some of the sausage and peppers mixture over individual servings of pasta.
Here are more:
- recipes using bell peppers.
- vegan sausage recipes.
- Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.