Stewed Lentils with Vegan Sausage
Well-flavored vegan sausages (Tofurky and Field Roast are excellent brands) make a bold statement in this easy lentil stew. If you can find beluga lentils, they give this dish extra visual appeal. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced
- One 14-ounce package Tofurky sausage links, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans lentils, drained lightly but not rinsed
- 1 cup diced ripe tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, or more to taste
- 3 to 4 ounces baby spinach, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
Add the garlic, celery, and sliced sausage. Sauté, stirring frequently, until all the ingredients are golden and touched here and there with browned spots.
Add the lentils, tomato, and thyme. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a gentle simmer. Return to medium-low heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomatoes have just softened. Add the spinach, cover, and cook briefly, just until wilted, then stir in.
Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper, and serve at once in shallow bowls.