Summer Tofu Skillet with Tomatoes and Bell Peppers
Here’s an enticing way to showcase tofu with colorful peppers. It’s a good summer main dish when you want dinner on the table quickly. Serve with a simple cooked grain or potato dish and a big fresh salad.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 6 bell peppers of various colors, cut into long strips
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium ripe, juicy tomatoes, diced
- One 16-ounce tub firm or extra firm tofu, well-drained and cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon natural granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderate heat until golden.
Stir in the peppers and garlic and cook over medium heat, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes, lifting the lid to stir occasionally, until the peppers are nearly tender
Add the tomatoes, tofu, oregano, parsley, and sugar. Cover and cook for 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.