Tempeh Fries with Horseradish-Dill Mayonnaise
If your meal needs just a little extra something in the protein department, but not necessarily a filling main dish, this is a nice choice. It also works well as an appetizer. These fries can be a bit addictive, so you may want to double the recipe if serving hungry tempeh fans. Adapted from Vegan Express.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- One 8-ounce package tempeh, any variety
- 1 teaspoon cajon or jerk seasoning blend, or to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, more or less to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon or lime juice, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
Heat the oil and soy sauce in a wide skillet. Add the tempeh, stirring quickly to coat. Sauté over medium-high heat, stirring gently and frequently, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, rice milk, horseradish, and lemon juice in a small serving bowl and whisk together until smooth. Stir in the dill.
Once the fries are done, remove them from the skillet and arrange on a platter. Serve at once, passing around the sauce.
- Here are more tempeh recipes.
- Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.
- For more healthy snacks, visit Snacks and Dips.